NEXT 2 BLOW: "I Infuse Yoruba Culture and Folk tunes Into My Songs"......Oyinkansola



Written by Babajide Awoyinfa

Oyinkansola is a prospect to reckon with, she’s got a personal mixture of sassy boldness and heartfelt lyricism which marks her as a girl who’s not afraid to be different, a multi-talented artist whose mic style is hard-hitting, with a formidable stage presence, and self-penned rhymes that opt for realness over swagger.

Oyinkansola started singing in the church choir as a child when her choirmaster discovered her singing in the church compound. She grew up listening to the music of indigenous greats like Kollington Ayinla and Barrister (Fuji Music), Fela (Afro-Beat), Sunny Ade and Ebenezer Obey (Juju).

She also would listen to her uncle’s collection of Michael Jackson, Musical Youth, New Edition, Dr. Alban and Majek Fashek. She plays the acoustic guitar.

On the first listening to her song  “Hands up” in which she partners Storm Record artist, GT the Guitarman, I was utterly blown away.She has also featured Brymo of Chocolate City and Femi Capital Hill of Kennis Music in her songs.



She is a blend of soul and folk music, with beats that simply get you moving in your seats and bopping your head. I had a chat with her recently and she talked about her inspirations, her influences, ambitions and what makes her unique from other artists…..Excerpts

What is unique about Oyinkansola?
My style. I mix Fuji pop, I take similar concepts from Kollington Ayinla, Ayinde Barrister and other Fuji artist, and I funkify them to new school. I am a humble person, I learnt it from people I grew up with, practised it and it worked for me. I also appreciate people that believe in me and will not let them down.
Tell us about yourself?

My name Oyinkansola Morounfolu, I am from Osun State, Oshogbo town, I was born to civil servant parents in Abeokuta, and my father retired from the security services, while my late mother was an immigration officer. I am the third of five children with a brother and sister on either side; I attended my primary and secondary education in Abeokuta before attending the Ibadan Polytechnic College of education.


I started music from the choir; our music director in church then really took her time to groom me she was like a mother to me. I decided to come to Lagos to pursue my music career, I have been here close to 15 years doing backup for artist and now I believe this is my time to stand out and pursue my career.

I want my face to be well known, I want everybody to appreciate what music is all about and I want to reach people at the area of their deeds by passing it across through my music.

I have four songs released at the moment, I sang “Cry” for my mother who is late, I also have “Hands Up” featuring GT the guitar man, I also have  “Love Wantintin” featuring Brymo and my hit song titled  “Kokose” which I believe will make me blow.


How did the struggle start for you?
I came to Lagos 2001 from Ogun State and I met with Plantation Boys and Black Trybe.  I started following them as a diehard fan and I ask them that I ways to get to the top and what it takes to produce video. At that time you needed a solid rock to support you, even though you can sing like an angel, you still need to struggle and sweat for it. I later joined my record label (Black Label) four years ago but my contract has expired with them at the moment. People are now getting to know me gradually.

What kind of song do you sing?
I formerly use to sing Rhythm and Blues, but I had to later turn to what Nigerians want, which is  commercial songs  and I also play the guitar very well, so I mixed a lot of things together like my R&B skills, my Yoruba accent singing, my guitar and it worked. I infuse Yoruba culture and folk tunes into my song.



Who will you say you sound like?
People say I sound like G.T the guitar man and we eventually met. He heard my song and he said he liked it that was how we became close. I am very close to him now, I go to his house, I am free with him. He is like a brother to me; we go for shows together, always in the studio together, it is always fun being around him.

How do you get your inspiration?
Whenever I play the guitar, or any instrumental I hear, I always have a melody of what I should sing. I started singing at a young age, people use to say I was too little to join the choir but I was determined to sing.

Who are the people that inspired you?
I grew up listening to Whitney Houston; I now listen to the likes of Brandy, Tracy Chapman and India Arie. And in Nigeria, I was glad when Yinka Davies said I have this powerful voice, she motivates me a lot, and she is wonderful. People say why not Asa? After all you play the guitar, I said no, I don’t sound like Asa, she is a jazz singer.



Who are the people you will like to work with?
I want to work with Yinka Davies, Maye Hunter, Chuddy K; I don’t want to work with people in the dancehall for now.

What are your album plans?
I am dropping my album this year by the grace of God, I was supposed to have dropped it last year but now, I think the appropriate time will come soon.

What is your hit song?
I think it is “Hands Up”; the song has taken me to places and brought me to where I am now, and a lot of people got into it and loved it.

What has been the response on internet and twitter?
Yeah good response for now, so many people love me beyond the song, I was scared at first, thinking it wouldn’t be accepted but am glad to say that my fan base is increasing.


Some people compare me to Yetunde “Omo Ibadan” of Project Fame, and I was also compare to Asa.

Why coming all the way to Lagos?
Lagos is central, this where you can get the main people. And it is from here other people tap from to succeed. I can make it in Osun State though but I still have to come down to Lagos. P-Square made it in Abuja and they came down to Lagos. Lagos is the Centre of Excellence, you have to come down here to struggle like others, that is how you prove that you have worked and you know what you are doing. Coming down to Lagos is like a reward for your hard work.

What are your top 5 albums of all time?
I love all Brandy songs, India Arie, Trey Songz; I listen to Kollington Ayinla, Ayinla Omowura, Haruna Ishola, old school songs.

You can follow me on twitter @oyinkansola01

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment