NEXT 2 BLOW: I Will Make Soul More Popular – DTone Martins



By Babajide Awoyinfa
He plays the guitar like a maestro. He sings like a lark. His voice recalls the very best of Lynden David Hall and Terence Trent D'arby on songs like “Sexy Cinderella” and “Sign Your Name Across My Heart.” With a Lenny Kravitz-style hair, an infectious smile, his guitar slung across his shoulder, he throws up an image of the itinerant musician. Wait till he strums his guitar and let loose a string of soul-stirring vocal - his vibes would overwhelm you with a profound nostalgia.

This soul singer offers something fresh, original and timeless. One-minute listening is all the conviction you need. His singles, “Sunkun Ife,” “Ife Gbagbara” and “Kati Kati” are already favourite sing-along songs. Tony Dolapo Martins, popularly known as DTone Martins, is on his way to the big time.


In this exclusive encounter, the “Kati Kati Master” reminisces about his music pedigree; he reflects about the challenges of not being on the musical bandwagon of hip hop. He unveils more: his way with women and his fancy for the future. Excerpts.

How did you find music?
It runs in the family. My father happened to be a musician. So I met it on ground. As I grow up, I grow into it. My interest came naturally.


At what stage of your life did you develop interest?
When I was a teenager. I wasn’t forced, rather it was inbuilt. Over time, my father helped me. He encouraged me to play musical instruments. Then I kept on. With time, I started innovating my style called Afric-Soul - a combination of African music and the traditional music. Now I have my independent musical outfit called D-TONE Music Entertainment.


What have you been up to?
Lately, I have being doing events. Of recent, I was at Sisi Oge Beauty Pageant. I had time out with the beauty queen and I did a song for the late Chief Segun, a special dedication for him. I also wrote the theme song for the pageant. I have been to a couple of other events. I’m still working on my PR, doing stuffs with different organizations. By and large, I am getting myself out there, getting people to know more about D-TONE MARTINS. My kind of music is not an everyday music. However, everyone will find interest in it. I respond to public’s reception to my music. Whenever I’m called for an event (either paid for or otherwise) I’m always there - to put myself out in the public domain. I have been paying my price. Nevertheless, not all my shows are free; some are paid shows, others are charity events, I do some based on friendship. Overall, I get a lot of positive response to my music.

Tell us about your father
My surname is Martins. My father’s name is Tunde Martins. He used to play with Bobby Benson in his time. Bobby Benson, the man that sang “If You Marry Taxi Driver, I Don’t Care”. He was based in France, when he came back, he started playing with Fela. I have had a lot of doors opened for me at the mentioned of my father’s name in the real music world and among the old-time musicians such as King Sunny Ade. We performed together at one of the Felabration show where Omo Baba was the MC. 

Dtone martins-IFE GBAGBARA

Powered by Aloteda's Blogzine

Are you the only son of your parents?
I’m the only son of my dad, though he re-married before his death.

Hip hop is the popular genre in Nigeria. Why don’t you think of going in that direction?
I’m trying to let my music have its own face, just like the Fela music, or say, Lagbaja’s Afrocalypso - it didn’t just come as a hit; it came gradually with a whole lot of experiment, and as God would have it, people accepted him for who he is. And he end up with a patent to a unique African blend. I can’t betray my pedigree. I’m so ground in my kind of music. With time, people will get to understand my pattern of music. Presently I am studying at the Coliseum School of Music. My Major is guitar, but I study Classical Guitar and Theory of Music.

Professionally, how long have you being into music?
Professionally, that would be when I was discovered by a record label, and that will be 2007.

Are you still under the record label?
Right now I’m independent. The label was not really promoting my brand of music. I was almost deviating to the everyday kind of music. Over time, I was able to stand up and say to myself, “If they can’t see my own way, then let me create that environment; let them see from the outside and know what I’m trying to do.” So far, I have been able to achieve that to an extent that my vision has become vivid enough for people to see and say ok this guy knows where he is going.


As an artiste, who is trying to gain acceptance, what are the basic challenges before you?

I face what every other artiste faces, the challenge of capital. Even record labels grapple with capital challenges. The other challenge I have is that I don’t have people to work with. Though, I work with friends, lovers of my music, I’m not really working officially with a management team. I have to go an extra mile to get what I want. Getting my kind of music out there too has being a very big challenge. My grace is that my fans are the ones promoting me right me.

Do you have a role model in the kind of music you do?

Among contemporary artistes, Tuface is very good. He is a motivational singer. People like Fela and John Legend (who tries soul music and happens to be a successful commercial soul artiste) are also my inspirations. I want to be a commercial soul artiste. A lot of people have been discouraged with the statement that D-TONE can’t be a force in the Nigeria’s music scene. I want to prove them wrong.




You shot your first music video recently. How has the reception been?
I didn’t push the video too much. The video is my first introduction, like an experiment, my first move, to show people that this is the direction where I am going. I didn’t shoot it for people to know me; I shot it officially as an answer to the incessant question of “Do you have a video?” Now, I have something to present. The video is a tool, a testament that I’m being serious with what I’m doing. So far, people have been talking about it. And I feel encouraged.

As an artiste, who is trying to gain acceptance, what are the basic challenges before you?
I face what every other artiste faces, the challenge of capital. Even record labels grapple with capital challenges. The other challenge I have is that I don’t have people to work with. Though, I work with friends, lovers of my music, I’m not really working officially with a management team. I have to go an extra mile to get what I want. Getting my kind of music out there too has being a very big challenge. My grace is that my fans are the ones promoting me right me.

Do you have a role model in the kind of music you do?
Among contemporary artistes, Tuface is very good. He is a motivational singer. People like Fela and John Legend (who tries soul music and happens to be a successful commercial soul artiste) are also my inspirations. I want to be a commercial soul artiste. A lot of people have been discouraged with the statement that D-TONE can’t be a force in the Nigeria’s music scene. I want to prove them wrong.



As a talented young man, how do you cope with temptation from girls
It has not being easy. On my way here, I ran into a lady that has being disturbing me for a while. At the Sisi Oge pageant, girls were all over me. But I have to discipline myself to remain focused. No matter what I do, I can’t chase them away; they will always come around, it is up to me to be disciplined.

How have you been coping with his temptation?
Sometimes when I go for event and I happened to end up with a standing ovation, you’d just see girls rushing over. And one is vulnerable at that point, they flock over you and you can just fall into temptations-

Does that mean you have been falling to this temptation?
I’m human. I have being through one in the past when I had a very big event I was suppose to go, a lady just came and she wanted me to be around her. I just have to discipline myself. It hasn’t been easy dealing with ladies. I’m not married but I have girlfriends.

Pertaining to your music career, what is the best advice you have being given and who gave you this advice?
My father told me: “Believe in yourself, because no body can drive your passion the way you can.” Even if nobody tells you, you come to a situation whereby, you have to start believing in yourself, especially when you get turned down by some people.



Who do you dream of collaborating with?
Angelique Kidjo and Akon.

Why Akon?
In a way, Akon has African instincts and his kind of music is African, collabo with him would be a sort of experiment. I will also like to feature with Tuface, Femi Kuti, Lagbaja and Asa.

How about the likes of D’banj?
They are not grounded in my kind of music. They are entertainers. I want to feature with musicians, or musician-entertainers. Lagbaja is an entertainer and a musician, Fela is also a musician and also an entertainer.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment