Next 2 Blow: I Am The One, The Coming Rave – Selom Gert



By Babajide Awoyinfa
Selom Gert has his ear to the street. That’s why his music is for the masses.  He knows what his fans crave. And he makes it his duty to give them the best of the current cravings. He punishes himself to give the best. Because he sets his eyes on being the next big musical thing. Indeed his mix tape is a chart-buster

In this encounter, SG takes Entertainment Express through his world of rap, R&B and Afro-pop. As he flips through the pages of his musical odyssey, he offers a photographic view of his past, present and future.  Excerpts.

What is the concept behind your recent mix tape HI-DEAF-NATION?
My mix tape is called “HI-DEAF-NATION.” The name is derived from the word Hi-definition. Basically, I want people to get used to my voice and embrace my style of music. Because I knew most Nigerian are not totally into rap and dance, that informed my decision to put that out.  All together, it was a good experience. All copies of the mix tape are gone and I had the chance to work with Ikon, Kanebi and Tech of SDC Plus. I hosted a launch party. So it was quite eventful.


When did you make up your mind to pursue a career in music?
When I saw the lifestyle of Jay-Z portrayed on TV. I always wish I could be like him. Eminem and 50 Cent also influenced my decision to become involvement in the music industry. I really like Hip hop. I like to perform with a lot of energy and carry people along with the songs I perform.

Who are you?
My Name is Selom Oke Eruedoja. I am from Delta State. I was born in Ikeja, but I grew up in Apapa, Lagos. I am from a family of two boys. I am the first born. 


My dad is a medical doctor, my mum a Group Admin Manager at a shipping and logistics company.  I had my primary education at Tade Nursery and Primary School, Apapa, Lagos. I graduated from Home Science Association Secondary School, Lagos, in 2002 where I was the social prefect in my SS3. I did a diploma course in University of Lagos (UNILAG) in 2003 after which I moved to the United Kingdom to further my studies in Marketing and Media Communications at the University Of Buckingham before I moved back to Nigeria. I am a Christian.


How did you come about your stage name?
S.G. is an acronym for Selom Gert.  Selom being my first name, and Gert, the name of my Godfather who passed away, added to my name in honour of him.

How would you describe your music?
A mixture of rap, R&B and afro pop - smooth flow, catchy lyrics, good hooks, alternative sound and banging beats.

Back in your early childhood, what was your first experience with music?
My first connection with music was Hip hop and early pop music.  Over time, I got interested in other genres of music such as R&B, alternative music and afro-pop. The first song I remember that fascinated me was “Beat it” by Michael Jackson.


What type of music did you hear the most back then?
In my pre-teens days, I listened to a lot of pop, soul, jazz and reggae. When I was a teenager, I fell in love with hip-hop and the lifestyle. I listened to a lot of rap and R&B. Listening to the likes of Jay-Z, Diddy, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G. influenced me alot. Right now rap and R&B are the current addiction, but other genres popped into the scene as music keeps evolving.  Now the Afro pop sound is suddenly spreading fast all over the world.

What was the first song that you ever sang?
The National Anthem (laughs). Then “Beat it” and “Thriller” by Michael Jackson.  I felt real good because I could relate to his music at the time.

How did you become involved in rap?
After moving back from the United Kingdom, I got a little drawn into the growing afro-pop phenomenon and particularly the Nigerian afro-pop sounds from the likes of D’banj, Tuface, Naeto C, M.I and Ice Prince, with the aim of keeping an open mind towards music and having a strong love for rap and R&B.


How long have you been performing?
I have been into music since high school. I usually had short freestyle sessions with my friends during our break hours and also writing songs just for fun. Since 2005 I have being making music as a hobby. I took it seriously in 2010 after I established City of Gold Entertainment. 

So far what has been your biggest break?
My biggest break or greatest opportunity so far was being called to host the MTN Pulse Project Fame party which was an interesting event. I ended up performing, hyping the show and hosting it. It was quite an interesting night.

What group or label impacted your music?
The old Rocafella, Def Jam, Bad Boy Entertainment, and, of course, Mo’Hits.


The term “starving artist” is the dread of upcoming artistes. How do you hope to cope with this difficult phase?
I plan to remain positive, keep on working on my craft. Hard work pays and it’ll manifest with time.

What does your family think of you as a musician?
They really played a huge role in supporting my music. They understand what I am trying to accomplish. I think that’s very important for my mental stability.

Does music run in the family?
Apart from my mother, probably my cousin Gloria who sings a lot in the church.

What has been your motivation to continue performing?
Listening to music and watching other artistes perform.  Performances of D’banj, Ice Prince, Wizkid, and Tuface really inspired me and made me believe I could also stand out in music.


Stage or live performance, how do you fare?
My live performance is cool. I’m quite energetic on stage.  I feel at home when performing on stage. I don’t get stage fright.  I enjoy performing anywhere, both in the studio and on stage. 
   
What song do you love to perform the most?
That’s really a tough one to answer. I love performing all my songs; once I’m in the zone it’s hard to slow down.  At the moment I’ll probably say “Blackout” a song I featured Tech. 

Where would you like to see yourself in the next five years?
In five years, I would like to be known as an established artist with a couple of hit albums under my belt and I would love my entertainment company “City OF GOLD ENT” to have become a big player opening doors for other talents. One of my long term goals is to get into merchandising through my music.


What are your plans?
 I’m currently working on new material for 2013 and I have a couple singles. I will definitely drop a full project next year, so look out for “S.G AND THE CITY OF GOLD.”

Who are your dream collabos?
I would’ve loved to work with Michael Jackson - he was a genius. I would give anything to see how he made his music. Another great person would be Jay-Z because, you know, that’s just big business. Then, of course, D’banj.


What is your personal motto?
Work hard and believe in yourself.

What is your contact?
My email is selomgert@gmail.com


Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment