Next To Blow: I come with good music for global audience - Bayzik



Babajide Awoyinfa
His name is Bayzik. His game is music. Currently, he is an online rave, and his songs, the current rage. A multi-talented artiste who glides effortlessly from Hip hop to R&B, from African rhythm to Afro-pop and unto other unclassified genres, his songs radiates lyrical creativity and they speak volumes about versatility. Small wonder then that he has gained a humungous hip hop fan base with his current trending online song “Ding Dong.

Now, he is ready to explode beyond the online stratosphere. His soon-to-be-released sophomore album, scheduled to drop later this year, is a collection of hit bangers that will create rumbles and ripples.

In a recent chat, the Suave Records & Muzikup-and-coming talent, whose real name is Sikiru Lamidi, disclosed to Entertainment Express the grit of his game plan to invade the urban music scene. Excerpts.  *****CHAT BEGINS*****


Tell us about yourself?
My real name is Sikiru Lamidi, but I am popularly known as Bayzik. The third child of an Islamic monogamous family of four children, I have a degree in English and Literary Studies from Lagos State University. Currently, I am on my one-year youth service with Lagos State. I hail from Oyo State. Easy-going, fun loving and very reserved, that’s me.

What gave you the conviction to embark on a career in music?
At first, it was all about passion and fulfillment. Now, I’d say it’s about passion and benefits because the idea of getting good pay for what gives you joy is quite fascinating. It’s actually a P-Square kind of thing - passion and pay, or pleasure and pay, depending on what perspective you view it from.


How did you find music?
It has been a part of me right from childhood. Most of the things I did then had to do with music in one way or the other. As a young boy then, I played little football and did more of music. I can still remember how people often gather around to watch me perform back then. It was always a marvelous spectacle because I could tell from their expressions and body languages that they enjoyed it. My first pay through music didn’t come in form of cash; it came in the form of food - a fan was so impressed that he bought me bread and soft drink.

Precisely, at what stage of your life did you develop interest in music?
I developed interest in music very early in life, say, between the ages of six and seven.


Looking back at your childhood, what was your first experience with music?
My first experience with music was a memorable one. I remember an uncle of mine coming home one day with Daddy Showkey’s first album and putting it on repeat all night. I woke up the following morning singing most of the tracks flawlessly and as I did, something intense, strong and penetrating arose in me giving a feel of satisfaction for the first time as far as I could remember. It was a mind-blowing experience for me.

How long have you been singing now?
It’s been a very long time but I wouldn’t want to bring in those years of naiveté so I’d confidently say close to ten years now. It’s actually more though, but I think I’ve been able to measure up to the accepted standard for close to those ten years.

What were the songs that molded you as you were growing?
All kinds of songs, as far as they appeal to me. Listening to Hausa songs for instance helped in shaping my idiosyncratic tone. Through most of Angelique Kidjo’s songs, I was able to develop the right attitude needed for a perfect delivery. Songs from Azadus too contributed immensely. Good music, quirk music, funny music – they all played a part in informing my music consciousness and helped in no small measure in defining the “Bayzik” brand.


What genre best describes your music?
I don’t have a particular genre I do. I could be in the R&B arena today; it could be hip hop tomorrow. I also do country music, African rhythm, afro-pop and Salsa too - this is not about me trying to be the mythical jack of all trade; it’s down to whatever stream of thought the inspiration flows through. In a nutshell, I do virtually most genres. I just have to be in the right mood, at the right place and at the right time.

What are your chances of becoming a successful musician?
I have what it takes which is about the 3Cs - creativity, confidence and consistency. It’s not about just music anymore; it’s about the music business now, and for any business to thrive, feasibility studies is not just essential but compulsory and this I don’t stop doing. Analyzing and psychoanalyzing the audience who form your market base in relation to what they really want would also help in no small measure.

What change do you think is desirable in the Nigeria music industry?
 We need to be bold to take up new steps. We don’t always have to play copycats. We can create new styles of our own rather than restrict ourselves to the confines of some defined genres. Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, Bob Marley, Haruna Ishola (though all dead now), are still very much relevant today than most musicians presently alive and this is because they were able to create their own styles rather than follow existing ones. This is the same reason why we have to learn from them and trigger the changes necessary.

Tell us about your songs
I’ve composed several songs and each one addresses an issue and the people that identify with such issue. Not every Tom, Dick and Harry will subscribe to a war song for instance and for this reason, I make sure that there is always a song for everybody. But beyond that, I still try as much as possible to ensure that most of my songs appeal to the general populace. “Clockstopper,” “Kiss Me,” “My Party,” “Ding Dong,” “Na Naija” are among such songs.

How did you get inspirations for “Ding Dong” and “Kiss Me”?
The composition of “Kiss Me” is relatively new compared to “Ding Dong” which was composed many years back, though the inspiration for “Kiss Me” is much older. The inspiration for “Ding Dong” came after watching the movie Why Do Fools Fall in Love that chronicled the life and times of Frankie Lymon. That of Kiss Me was from an introductory tone in Alhaji Sikiru Ayinde Barrister’s “Fuji Garbage Series II.”

As an up-and-coming artiste, what are the basic challenges before you?
Piracy, the age-long challenge of the entertainment industry. This is the only challenge I think I can have. So far so good, considerable steps are being taken by the necessary quarters to checkmate this scourge and before long, the menace, I believe, would be a thing of the past.


Which artistes influence your musical disposition?
I draw ideas largely from Angelique Kidjo, Azadus, Asa, and I marry their ideas with mine. Though Azadus seem to have been away for a while now, some of his ideas are still in me. Tuface has been a blessing to this generation of Nigerian music; likewise, Chris Brown has also influenced my whole ideas. Bringing the ideas of these artistes together has greatly influenced my musical tendency.

Tell us about your record label   
Suave Recordz and Muzik is not just a record label. It is an empire where talents are discovered and nurtured to measure up to the required standard so that there would be no excuse for any failure whatsoever. The record label is owned by Hassan Bashir Oluwakemi a.k.a. Bashexy, and being the type who does not believe in sheer luck but hard work, his meticulous nature runs through the empire. We are just starting out, but we have achieved some measure of success within a short space of time and it can only get better.


What other organizations or institutions impacted your music?
I have a strong Islamic background. In my family, taking Arabic lesson was made compulsory for us while growing up. I learnt to recite the Holy Quran and doing so demands employment of beautiful special sounds and tones. The Arabic lesson contributed significant to my entire musical endeavor.

What are your plans at the moment?
I have so many plans in the pipeline. Because I’m just starting out, channeling those plans into gaining acceptability, making good money, getting credible awards both locally and internationally could do for now. Other plans are definitely coming up soon, such as having a big entertainment outfit that touches every aspect of the showbiz entity from movie production to fashion among others.

What makes your music unique?
What makes me unique is what makes my music unique. I am very dynamic, hardworking. I can do an album of 10 tracks without you knowing they are all from the same Bayzik. I have the street appeal; same way, I can be very classical. I am also consistent and I have my ears to the ground most times. I look in awkward directions for inspiration and I listen to my inner voice too. I also take criticisms calmly and use it as a yardstick for making beautiful compositions. These, among others, make my music very unique. 

You can follow Bayzik on twitter @ytbayzik or add him on bbm on 26CB14F1. You can also join his Facebook page www.facebook/suaverecordz & muzik





Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. i have heard his musics, he is definatly good and surely he will rull soon.

    ReplyDelete