My talent is my X Factor - Special Slim, winner, MTV Base VJ Search.



By Babajide Awoyinfa
After winning the second edition of the MTV Base VJ search, Edo State-born Ehizojia Okoeguale, popularly known as Special Slim, found himself in instant limelight. The Computer Electronics graduate of Lead City University, Ibadan, in an interview with Entertainment Express talks about his journey to fame, particularly the 360 turnaround that happened to him just in the nick of time at appoint when he found himself stranded in life.  Excerpts.  *****CHAT BEGINS*****




Tell us about yourself
My name is Ehiz Okoeguale. I am from Edo State. I was born in Lagos to Engineer Thomas Okoeguale and Catherine Okoeguale. I am the last of five children. I have three sisters and a brother. I attended Providence Heights Secondary School Agege, Lagos and later went to Lead City University, Ibadan, Oyo State, where I studied Computer Electronics.


What kind of a child were you?
I was a normal child, always playing and happy. I loved music and I grew up reading because of the kind of parents I have. I had fun growing up. I had everything I wanted and I was always happy.

How does it feel to emerge the new MTV Base VJ?
It feels great really. Right, now it feels like a dream. I am so happy. I can’t find the right words to express my feeling; deep down inside me, it is a great feeling and I thank God for that.

What gave you the Edge?
I don’t know if I had any edge over the other contestants because they were really great too. They were fantastic presenters and VJS. At a point, I thought I had no chance. But like I always say, I am not lucky; I am blessed.


What was your winning strategy?                                      
There was really no strategy. Like I said, I was just having fun because I was doing something I loved doing. My only motive was to do my best at all times and it worked out for me.

How would you describe your style?
My presentation style is really a reflection of who I am. I am a very spontaneous and playful person too. I don’t take things too serious. I like to have fun with people I am interviewing.

Was becoming a VJ one of your childhood ambitions?
No, I actually wanted to be an Engineer, but as I grew older my love for music and entertainment took over me.


Did you see yourself winning from the start?
No, I was just there doing my thing. I was really having fun, enjoying myself, doing things I loved doing.  I just kept an open mind towards the finale and at the end, I came out on top. I thank God for that. From the first day of the auditions, I told myself that I would do my best and leave the rest in God’s hands. The next thing I knew, I was in the top three which was a bit of a surprise. I did not have the slightest idea that I was going to win.

What informed your decision to enter the competition?
My love for entertainment and music convinced me. But ultimately, MTV Base was my major deciding factor. To be associated with them was something that spurred me on. I am so happy to have won.


How much of experience do you have as a VJ?
Not much really. I have just been working on myself. I like talking, music and entertainment in general. My talent and God brought me here, nothing else.


Who influences you as a VJ?
I watched Cythnia a lot and the other MTV Base VJs. I always have this keen interest when I see any VJ presenting on TV, both local and foreign. So I learnt a lot from a whole lot of VJs, both the ones I could remember and the ones I can’t remember.

Why did you study Computer Electronics instead of an entertainment-related discipline?                                                                                                                
Like I said earlier, I wanted to be an Engineer. I was a science student and at that point in my point I didn’t take entertainment serious. I thought it was something I will always do at my spare time.

Recently VJ spots in Nigeria have been overtaken by people with foreign accents, didn’t you have that fear when you came for the VJ search?
Foreign accent is not really a strong point in being a VJ. If people take that as a criterion in choosing their VJs in Nigeria, then it is really bad. That is why I came for MTV VJ search, the last winner, Cynthia, who has been doing a fantastic job, does not have an accent. She speaks well and does her job well. I have seen fantastic VJs who have never travel outside the country and I have heard good OAPs who do not have accents.

You are going to be working with MTV Base now, what do you expect?
It is going to be an exciting adventure; I mean, it is MTV Base, and what do you expect. I can’t wait to start.

                                                                               
How do you think that you will fare?
I will do fine. I believe in God and myself and when you do these things it is easy to succeed in anything you do and overcome obstacles.

How do you hope to be distinguished from other VJs?
Every human on earth is unique; you are a unique journalist and I will be a unique VJ. My talent will distinguish me. Nothing would change about me to be sincere, only the fact that the title MTV Base VJ would come after my name.

How are you going to handle the fame?
That is what I really don’t know but I would definitely keep a level head and with the guidance of God I intend to be the best I can be.

What are the things you feel the former VJ was not doing that you intend to do?
The former VJ was fabulous; she did everything perfectly. I just hope I can walk in her shoes.



How did you come about the name Special Slim?
The name Special Slim was a product of a joke. My friends used to call me Slim back then, but there were too many guys bearing that name. So my friends thought about it and said I was a special person. So being a special person named Slim among many people answering that name, they started calling me Special Slim. That was how the name Special Slim became part of me.

What were you doing before you became the new VJ?
I just finished my university education. Before the VJ search, I was just at home thinking about my next move, thinking on what next to do with my life when the MTV Base opportunity came. Prior to that, I was not doing anything.

Is Special Slim in a relationship?
I am not in any relationship presently which sounds funny, but it is totally true. I am not in any relationship right now. As for love, if it’s going to come, it will come. That is something you can’t plan.

What are you going to do with the money?                                               
I haven’t really thought about it, but I definitely will do a lot of good with it. Some things will definitely change because I know where I am coming from and how I got to where I am. I am not thinking about the prize money, even though I dream about it. I want to learn more, work more and see the reaction I get from the viewers who will be watching me.

What is your advice to young ones out there looking for an opportunity like the one you had?
Always be ready, you might never know when an opportunity will come. If I was not ready when the MTV Base VJ Search started, I would have missed it, so it is important you spot an opportunity when it comes. Hard work and consistency pays, therefore continue with that thing you are doing and it will be your turn one day, just be patient.

How can your fans interact with you?
My Twitter handle is @SpecialSlim and on Facebook, my username is Special Slim

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment