Minjin, Nigeria's latest hip-hop sensation is ready to blow


Written By: Babajide Awonyinfa

He is a young and aspiring music artist, who is currently signed to Kennis Music; Minjinis bringing something undeniably fresh to the table. He started singing very young and began spitting rhymes at 14. Now, with several releases already under his belt, he has recently found his style and voice on “Bunga” his latest single. I had a chat with him recently where he talked about his music and where he is heading.  All in all, Minjin is an artist that is worth keeping your eyes on. 
                      
How did you come about the name Minjin?
My mum gave me the name, long time ago.  Before I started doing music, I was dancing then, modelling and all when she gave me the name, meaning my son from God (the most high).  I had to stick with it (Minjin) because it was unique and not everybody bears the name. My real name is Adewale Lawanson.
 
How has the struggle been like for you?
The struggle was tough, I emerged winner in two musical competitions in 2010 and that was how the birth of my music started.  I won the high school musical live in Nigeria, I played the role of Troy in 2010, and I also won the Centage superstar, which got me signed by Kennis music and that was how my music really started professionally.  Although I have been doing music like indoors, going for shows and performing live but was not that popular then.

How did you meet Kennis Music?
The deal of the Centage competition was that if you win, you get a record deal and when I won, I was signed. That was the breakthrough for me to get into limelight, everybody knowing me and you interviewing me. I really feel good now because people say they love me and also there is a lot to be done.  I am working very hard now.

Has music been your childhood dream?
It wasn’t music specifically; I wanted to do entertainment, I wanted to dance. I was a very good dancer (I still dance) I also model; I play instrument and I am also a songwriter. I thought even if I wasn’t going to sing, I would be a songwriter but you know song-writing is not really a big trend here in Nigeria. I started singing at the age of 14 and I found out that I could sing, so I started writing songs.

Read the rest HERE

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment