Next To Blow: Music Stole My Heart - Falz



Written By: Babajide Awoyinfa 
He is not your idea of a rapper – someone who has had a gilt-edge law education in a UK university and even took the time and pain to go through the whole gamut of becoming a practicing lawyer in Nigeria by attending the requisite law school. Called to bar in 2012, he is a qualified lawyer. However, his academic and profession qualifications have been relegated to the background. If he had chosen the law path, he’d have been addressed as Barrister Folarin Falana; instead a rising hip-hop sensation is what he has become. He goes by the name Falz.

So far he is ‘representing.’ Falz delivers a unique blend of style and substance that brings a fresh element to the oversaturated and sometimes jaded emceeing scene. In a recent chat with Entertainment Express, the talented lawyer-turned-rapper rhapsodizes about his musical influences, and the huge difference he’s bringing to Nigerian hip hop. Read excerpts below


Tell us about yourself?
My real name is Folarin Falana. I was born in Lagos, Nigeria, in a family of three. I went to primary school in Lagos while my secondary education was in Osun State. I obtained my first degree from the University of Reading, UK. I am a qualified barrister, called to the Nigerian Bar in 2012.

You are known as “Bahd Guy,” are you really a bad guy?
I’m not a bad person at all. My own is a “Bahd’ guy in a good type. The Bahd guy in my name basically means that I am a cool guy.

How did you find music?
I found music during my secondary school days. A friend of mine used to write short verses and choruses and I thought that was cool so I decided to join him. From that moment, I just continued writing more rap verses and improving with time. Soon enough I discovered that I was doing something I loved and from the day I got into the studio to record for the first time, there was no going back.


At what stage of your life did you develop interest in music?
It was while I was in secondary school. I was about 13 or 14 years old then.

What gave you the conviction to pursue a career in music?
The sheer passion I have for music. I really enjoy it and I don’t think anything else gives me the kind of fulfillment that I derive from recording good music.

Looking back at childhood, what was your first experience with music?
My first major experience with music was while I was in secondary school. I formed a rap group with three other friends of mine and we often performed at events and functions within the school. We became local celebrities. It was an interesting experience.

What was your childhood ambition?
My childhood dream was to go to school and become a top lawyer. I still became a lawyer in the end but then music came around a long the way and stole my heart.

How long have you been singing now?
Professionally, I have been a recording and performing artiste for about three years now.

How did you come about your stage name “Falz?”
Falz is a nickname that I picked up while I was in school. It’s just a short form of my last name Falana.

What were the songs that moulded you as you were growing?
While growing up, I listened to a lot of Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Plantashun Boyz, Trybesmen and the other old school classics. Music by these artistes had and is still a notable influence on my music.


What has been your biggest break so far in your musical career?
My hit single “Wazup Guy’’ which I released in 2011 went on to top a few radio charts and countdowns and got me a few offers from a number of major record labels in the country.

What genre best describes your music?
Typically it’s Rap/Hip hop but every now and then, I have a bit of pop music. I call mine Wazup Music.

What do you think of your chance of making a success out of being a musician?
I believe I stand a good chance because my sort of music is different from the regular one. I try to put a little bit of humour here and there when I record my songs but at the same time I make sure there is still a lot of substance in my music. With these, I believe I will last long in the game.


In your opinion what are the characteristics of a successful rap artist?
A successful rap artiste should be popular, admired, rich and positively influential.

Tell us about your songs?
I have composed several songs. In 2009, I put together an 11-track mixtape titled Shakara’ which included hit tracks like “Shakara” and “Picture Status’.’ After that I released more hit singles including “Wazup Guy’’ (2011), “1,2,3’’ ft Oyinkansola (2012), “Cool Parry’’ ft Saeon (2012) and more recently “High Class’’ which was released earlier this month


How did you the inspiration for “Cool Parry” and “High Class”?
For “Cool Parry,’’ I was inspired by the very jovial atmosphere in Nigeria and I just thought I had to make a song that would reflect that.

“High Class” was a little deeper. It was inspired by the seemingly growing Aristo culture among the young ladies in Nigeria of today. It was not necessarily inspired by a personal experience; it’s just a song about the high class girls out there.


Which artistes influence your musical predisposition?
Like I said earlier, the legendary Fela Anikulapo Kuti is one of my biggest influences. I try to make meaningful music just like he did, but in my own way of course.

If you had the opportunity to work with other rappers who would they be?
I would like to work with M.I, Phyno and Olamide, just to name a few.

Tell us about your record label “Bahdguys Records”?
We are just starting up. I’m the first artiste under the label and right now we are focusing on getting my career in motion so that everything else can kick-off from there.


Some of your fans say, you sound like Sauce Kid. Was he someone you looked up to?
I like Sinzu’s stuff but I really don’t hear that similarity. Maybe it’s more of a voice thing than my style of music

What are your plans at the moment?
Right now I am working on my debut album which I intend to release this year. I am trying to get a few interesting collaborations to spice it up and make the content as diverse as possible. All things being equal, my album will be released later this year.


How is your music different from others?
That little bit of humour that I infuse into my songs is what gets people interested in my music and what differentiates me from other regular rappers.

Pertaining to your music career, what is the best advice you have been given and who gave you this advice?
The best advice I have received is to be myself and be consistent; this advice was given to me by a close friend of mine.

Twitter : @falzthebahdguy
Facebook: Falz (fan page), Folarin ‘Falz’ Falana (regular profile)
Instagram: falzthebahdguy
Keek: falzthebahdguy
Reverbnation: www.reverbnation.com/falzzz



Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment