NEXT TO BLOW: African Music is my Passion - Ms. Jaie



Written By Babajide Awonyinfa

She is the new kid on the block - gifted with extraordinary songwriting skill, blessed with the voice of a nightingale; she is a complete musical package. And with her blend of modern R&B, Soul and Urban Naija sound, Ms. Jaie is a breath of fresh air.

At a point in time, she had a once-in-a-lifetime break as a songwriter for P. Diddy’s Badboy Records, but her yen for music of her roots, left her unfulfilled until she pitched her tent with Nigerian-based Storm Records.
Now she has found fulfillment. Her new single “Kilon Popping” ( a funky expression meaning, “What’s happening?”)  is currently getting critical acclaims. In this encounter, Jaie, a brand ambassador of Christian Audigier drinks, talks about her love for music, why she dumped Bad Boy Records for a Nigerian label and how she plans to takeover the Nigerian pop music scene.

Tell us about your experience with Diddy’s Bad Boy Records?
I was in New York and my friend sent me a list of auditions. I read through and I saw Bad Boy Records. I said to myself “I have to go there.” Then I saw that the auditioning was on that same day and I had just about an hour from Manhattan. I remember throwing on clothes and running about 10 blocks to the subway pushing people out of my way and I’m like “sorry, excuse me, sorry”. Getting though the train doors as they were closing was a relief.



Getting to the audition venue and seeing a long queue was really demoralizing but it did not discourage me from getting what I was hoping for. I had to tactfully find my way to the front.  After waiting for almost five hours, it finally got to my turn and I was to sing for four very mean looking men. I told them that I had my demo CD on me. I gave the audio section unit. They played the CD and the panel was impressed.  The audition opened up my writing skills which I initially was not aware of and I began to develop it. I was later asked by Bad Boy’s management to become a songwriter and work with new acts, but I didn’t want to become a writer alone so I had to leave to pursue my music career.

How did you come about your stage name? 
My names is Jaiye and I schooled in the UK; it was a little difficult for them to pronounce it correctly, so I had my name shortened to Jaie (Jay); the Ms was added when I was about 16 and I was delusional and I thought I wanted to do rap.




How did you start musically?
From the age of 3, I knew I wanted to sing. I think some people are just born with a gift. But I really knew I wanted to sing after stumbling across a Destiny’s Child song “With Me”. I knew then that singing was what I wanted to do.

Looking back at your early childhood, what was your first experience with music? 
I remember the first time I truly fell in love with music everyone was off working and I was alone at home. My auntie had just bought a new CD player and I was in awe. I slipped in a CD and what came out through the speakers became the most amazing voices I had ever heard. I must have played the song “With Me” by Destiny’s Child a hundred times. I decided on that day I wanted to put my voice on a CD even though I had no clue how. After that day, music then became a preoccupation. I began writing poems that later formed some of my best songs. Also, my dad used to sing to me as a child. Whenever we were away on business, he would call to sing to me before bed. As a child, my dad used to organize talent nights every Sunday. I loved watching the adults sing and the live band play. I was always around the most beautiful soul music.




How would you describe your music?
I call my music afro pop; honestly, it’s a mixture of everything I’ve been exposed to while growing up - all blended together and mixed with a beat that makes you want to dance.

How does it differ from what you listen to now?
Well I think a lot of the soul has been lost from music these days. That’s why I’m so passionate about African music which I feel will bring back the soul to music.

What was the first song that you ever sang?                                                     
The first song I ever performed was “I Wanna Be Down” by Brandy. I was so nervous I cried for about 10 minutes before I went on stage. It wasn’t much of a stage though; it was just a floor area. I rushed through the song and ran back to the bathroom to cry more. Thereafter, I wanted to do it again!


What made you first realize you wanted to pursue a career in music?
I always knew I had to sing. It makes me feel so happy inside. I knew people could have a job singing too. I thought that’s the job for me. I became a professional in 2007 




What is your “biggest break” so far in your musical career?
Meeting Tola Odunsi of Storm Records. In all honesty, he changed my life. The entire Storm Record family has been nothing short of amazing to me. They really are like my family.

How did you get signed on to Storm Records?
I made up my mind to move back home to Lagos and I began searching for a new record label that can communicate my vision to the world. After several meetings, I was still unsure of which label to work with until when I stumbled across the Storm360 website. My instincts told me this was the label I wanted to call home. After a quick search I located Tola Odunsi on Facebook and I dropped him an email and my song demo. After listening to my song, Tola wrote back: Ms. Jaie, “Pack your bags your life’s about to change.”

When I got to Lagos, I began to fuse everything I was exposed to. I wanted to create a sound that was new and fresh. I began merging international genres, with native Nigerian sound which I combined with my unique spin of pop slightly laced with Caribbean flavour.

How did you feel when Christain Audiger signed you as its Brand Ambassador?
The company saw in me a sophisticated and high-fashion personality good enough to represent its range of prestigious designer wines, champagnes and vodka. When I got the call, I didn’t believe it for about ten minutes. 


                                                        
What does your family think of your performance?
My parents have been very supportive; they helped me achieve my aim of following my dream. However, my grandma was always nagging me saying “Jaiye you can’t marry that your singing stick o (microphone) you better hurry up and win awards so you can marry”.

How much of live performance do you have in you?
I’m a studio girl. Being more of a technical girl, I love playing with different parts of my voice. I love stacking background vocals and using my voice as part of the backing track. Performing live is fun, but in the studio it’s just me and the music I love.

Which artistes influenced your musical talent?
Brandy and Ester Dean; Brandy is a vocal magician; Ester Dean is a talented writer.

What are the works in your kitty?
I have a new video coming out soon and I have a lot of tours lined up. You can get updates If you follow me on twitter @msjaieoffical




Tell us about the concept behind “Kilon Poping?”
This song tells the story of a girl from overseas being taught the latest slangs by a guy she likes.

What makes you think that you are next to blow?
Because I am born to do this.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Seriously, autotune apart, she has a really amazing voice.

    ReplyDelete